"At the dinner, the staff wait on the volunteers and try to show them how much we appreciate their help seven days a week! We absolutely could not operate the Museum without them," enthused Alida Bray, President and CEO of History San José.
The Volunteer Recognition Dinner, held on Thursday, September 12 at History Park, brings together volunteers from every service area: retail and events, collections and archives, education and outreach, gardening and facilities -- even window washing!
Many of the volunteers contribute their time in more than one area of service. Many have been instrumental in developing new programs and activities for our visitors.
"All of the volunteers’ contributions – large and small – make it possible for History San José to preserve the Valley’s history and bring it to the public," added Bray. "They are our unsung heroes and appreciated more than they know."
This year the following volunteers are being saluted by HSJ for their many years of service:
- 35 years of service to HSJ: Nancy Martin, Education and Portraits of the Past (POP);
- 30 years of service: Ida Raby, and Darlean Slack, Retail; Dave Robison, Printer;
- 25 years of service: Judy Borcherding, Education; Mike Brownlee, POP and Trolley Barn; Nancy Peters, POP;
- 20 years of service: JoAnn Renk, education; Barbara Shaeffer, Collections; Jack Stallard, Trolley Barn;
- 15 years of service: Martha Champion, Education, POP;
- 10 years of service: Steve Demkowski, Education, Bee-keeping; Stuart Hansen, Collections; Will Jensby, Collections; and Joan Shepley, Education;
- 5 years of service: Becky Barber, Printer; Larry Larson, Trolley Barn; and Ray Paik, Collections.